Artistic Director: Djana Bell
Named 2018 Dance Teacher of the Year by Dance Teacher Magazine!
Read the article HERE!
As Artistic Director of Norma’s Academy of Dance for over two decades, Djana Bell is armed with a mission. She has taken the Academy to a world-class level, and continues to seek high-caliber performance opportunities to broaden her students’ horizons.
Constantly challenged to meet the quality standards already set in motion by her mother, the school’s founder, Ms. Bell continues to broaden the Academy’s many offerings so that children who yearn to explore the discipline of dance, and the many parents who appreciate the benefits of providing such important experience to their children, can do so in a loving and supportive environment.
… At Norma’s, we keep pursuing and we keep learning.
- Artistic Director of Norma's Academy of Dance, 1985-Present
- Choreographer for the Dekalb Elementary School of the Arts
- Choreographer - Marietta-Roswell Delta Sigma Theta Alumnae Cotillion
- Fulton County Arts Council Grant Adjudicator
- Dream Jamboree - City of Atlanta Mayor's Office
- WSB Salute to America Parade
- Children's HealthCare of Atlanta Christmas Parade
- Children's HealthCare of Atlanta Festival of Trees
- 100 Black Men of Atlanta "Salute to Excellence Parade"
- Multilevel instruction in Ballet, Tap, Jazz, Modern and Pointe
- Private instruction in various dance disciplines for individuals and special groups
- Private pageant coaching
- Develop and teach choreography
- Florida State University
- Alvin Ailey American Dance Theatre
- Ballet Master Robert Christopher
- Patsy Brombley, Terpsicore Dance
- Christopher Corey, Southern Ballet Theater
- Finis Jhung, Broadway Dance Center
- Arthur Mitchell, Founder of Dance Theatre of Harlem
- Al Gilbert, Al Gilbert Seminars
- Brenda Buffalino, Broadway Dance Center
- Gary Harrison, Terpsicore Dance
- Ted Levy, "Bring in the Noise, Bring in the Funk"
Awards and Nominations
- Awarded 2010 "Torch Award" Atlanta Alumni Chapter Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc.
- Awarded one of 50 "Women that Rock" in arts and entertainment. CDC Blacks in Government 2012
- Nominated for Atlanta Business League's "Success Against Odds"
- Under my instruction, trained students have been awarded scholarships to attend Alvin Ailey American Dance Theater, Dance Theater of Harlem, New York City Ballet, Atlanta Ballet and the Joffrey Ballet Company
- Norma's Academy of Dance Performance Ensemble was a 2005 Recipient of the Young Achievers Trumpet Award, sponsored by the Turner Foundation
- Performance Ensemble was chosen to honor Reverend Joseph Lowery in dance sponsored by the Atlanta Business League
- Performance Ensemble performed for the "National Journalist Convention" for President Bill Clinton, Summer 2005
- Students enrolled and majoring in dance programs at major colleges and universities such as Florida State University, Agnes Scott College, New York University, University of the Arts in Philadelphia and Spelman College
- Students trained at Norma's Academy of Dance have performed for the following major dance companies: Philadanco, Koresh and Dallas Black Dance Company